A recipe impressed by the favored store-bought candy kale salad package! It’s made with kale, Brussels sprouts, broccoli slaw, dried cranberries, pepitas, optionally available goat cheese and tossed with a scrumptious poppy seed yogurt dressing and makes for the proper facet dish whether or not it’s for a weeknight dinner or particular vacation meal.
This Candy Kale Salad is hearty, scrumptious and really a should attempt.
I’m an enormous fan of the Candy Kale Salad Kits which are discovered at shops like Costco, Aldi, Dealer Joe’s and most mainstream grocery shops. They’re scrumptious and make the proper facet to actually any meal (like our Instant Pot Baby Back Ribs), anytime of the yr. And whereas I really like the comfort of the kits you should buy, I set out on a mission to create an possibility that was made with actual meals, better-for-you substances. Don’t get me improper, I’ll nonetheless attain for the comfort possibility from time-to-time however I do favor cooking from scratch and with actual meals substances (therefore the title of this weblog).
Not solely is it higher on your well being but in addition higher on your funds. Cooking from scratch is sort of all the time the extra budget-friendly possibility. Now I did add one ingredient that isn’t usually discovered within the store-bought Candy Kale Salad kits which is goat cheese. So whereas this ingredient is completely optionally available, I actually do love the flavour and creaminess it provides to the salad.
This publish might comprise affiliate hyperlinks that received’t change your value however will share some fee.
Substances on this DIY Candy Kale Salad Equipment
For the poppy seed yogurt dressing:
- Plain Greek yogurt – I virtually all the time use full fats greek yogurt however for those who’d like a lesser fats possibility, you may go together with 2%.
- Mayo – I like Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil Mayo. For an egg-free possibility use a vegan mayo or sub extra yogurt.
- Apple cider vinegar – might sub white wine or purple wine vinegar
- Honey – might sub maple syrup
- Orange juice and zest
- Lemon juice and zest
- Poppy seeds
- Sea salt
- Onion powder
For the salad:
- Kale – stems eliminated and chopped into small items
- Broccoli slaw – might sub shredded cabbage
- Shredded Brussels sprouts
- Dried cranberries – might sub dried raisins or blueberries. I like these dried cranberries as a result of they’re sweetened with apple juice and as a substitute of sugar.
- Pumpkin seeds – might sub sunflower seed or almonds
- Inexperienced onion
- Goat cheese crumbles – optionally available
For 10% off of all Primal Kitchen merchandise use code: REALFOODRDS
Shop Thrive Market to get the very best costs on pure, natural, and specialty meals. PLUS get a free reward if you sign-up!
How one can make Candy Kale Salad
Whisk, chop and toss your strategy to this scrumptious Candy Kale Salad.
- Step 1: In a small bowl, whisk collectively the dressing substances. Put aside.
- Step 2: Toast the pumpkin seeds in a pan over medium low warmth tossing usually for about 5-7 minutes or till the seeds give off a toasted odor.
- Step 3: In a big bowl, mix the salad substances. Simply earlier than serving, pour the dressing over the substances and toss gently to mix.
- Step 4: Prime with extra cranberries, pumpkin seeds, inexperienced onion and optionally available goat cheese crumbles.
How one can retailer Candy Kale Salad leftovers
IF you’ve any leftovers you may retailer the salad in a glass storage container for as much as 2 days. Any longer and the kale will grow to be just a little too soggy to take pleasure in. I wish to serve the leftover Candy Kale Salad with sliced hen, steak or salmon to take pleasure in as a subsequent days lunch. So satisfying and extremely tasty!
How one can prep forward Candy Kale Salad
You possibly can completely prep this salad forward by caring for a number of of the duties a day or two earlier than you propose to serve the salad. If serving this as a part of a Vacation meal or special day, I wish to prep as a lot as I can forward in order that it’s fast to place collectively when it’s getting near supper time. Right here’s what you may sort out the day or two earlier than you propose to serve the salad:
- Make the dressing and retailer in a small glass storage container or mason jar within the fridge.
- Chop all the veggies and retailer them collectively, in a big bowl or container, lined within the fridge.
- Toast the pumpkin seeds and retailer in an storage container, zip prime bag or stasher bag.
Now all it’s important to do is mix all the substances in a serving bowl, toss it with the dressing and it’s able to serve.
Different kale salad recipes you’ll love
- ½ cup greek yogurt (2% or full fats)
- 2 Tbsp. mayo (might sub extra yogurt)
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. honey
- ½ small orange, juice of (2 T) + ½ tsp. orange zest
- ½ lemon juice of (2 T) + ½ tsp. lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp. poppy seeds
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- In a small bowl, whisk collectively the dressing substances. Put aside.
- Toast the pumpkin seeds in a pan over medium low warmth tossing usually for about 5-7 minutes or till the seeds give off a toasted odor.
- In a big bowl, mix the salad substances. Pour the dressing over the substances and toss gently to mix.
- Prime with extra cranberries, pumpkin seeds, inexperienced onion and optionally available goat cheese crumbles.
- Serving Dimension: 1/8 of recipe
- Energy: 205
- Sugar: 9 g
- Sodium: 295 mg
- Fats: 11 g
- Saturated Fats: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 17 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 13 g
Pin now, make later!
All images and content material are copyright protected. Please don’t use our images with out prior written permission. In case you want to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your personal distinctive phrases and hyperlink again to the supply recipe right here on The Actual Meals Dietitians. Thanks!
Picture Credit score: The images on this weblog publish had been taken by Jess of Plays Well with Butter.